What Has (And Hasn't) Changed About the 3DS XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Has (And Hasn't) Changed About the 3DS XL

Early reports suggest an improved 3D effect and more. What's actually different?

The 3DS XL isn't due out in North America for over six weeks, but with the Japanese and European release dates less than a month away, several outlets have been able to get their hands on the large-sized 3DS. Early reports have suggested that the system's 3D effect has been improved, as well as the sweet spot for viewing the effect. With that in mind, questions started being raised about whether Nintendo has made any deliberate alterations to the system, or whether some of this is purely a side effect of making the system bigger.

We asked Nintendo.

First and foremost, the 3D effect and the 3DS XL's screens. Aside from physical size, Nintendo has made no changes to the 3DS XL's displays - they are made of the same materials as the original 3DS. Nintendo attributes the perception of better 3D to the actual dimensions of the screen, noting that the larger format can lend to a better impression of depth with some games.

Furthermore, Nintendo hasn't adjusted the 3DS XL to accommodate the 90% display increase. Early impressions of the XL have noted that 3DS games fare well in the expanded format, even going so far as to wonder if there are filters or aliasing effects being applied to assist. Nintendo denies this is the case, telling IGN that the XL features no such implementation.

A variety of cosmetic changes have accompanied the XL design, including what appears to be slight adjustments to the speaker design, which features a slightly different array of holes. Nintendo confirmed to us that those changes are simply cosmetic - "the speaker function of the XL is the same quality level as the 3DS's," a spokeperson told us.

Lastly, one interesting adjustment has been made to the XL. While the system's single circle pad remains the same as its original 3DS counterpart, Nintendo has adjusted all of the other inputs, including the D-Pad, shoulder and face buttons. They are all, according to the publisher, "slightly bigger than the 3DS buttons."

Small changes, but as any DS owner knows, some of the smallest differences can actually be big - even the subtle feel of the directional pad. Stay tuned to IGN for more on the 3DS XL - expect our full impressions in the very near future.
    [MENTION=580]mat_turbo

Apparently they are also making a circlepad pro attachment fro the XL as well
    Death Row Records Samples List

Comment

Originally posted by hobomotel View Post
      Apparently they are also making a circlepad pro attachment fro the XL as well
      LOL We were disscusiing how rediculous and massive this would make the XL when it should have in reality been intergrated into the XL. This would have made the XL perfect and a worthwhile purchase for me.
      My Current PC
      i7 5820k @ 4.4 Ghz w/ Corsair H100i | Asus x99a | 500GB Samsung 850 SSD |250GB Samsung 840 SSD | MSI GTX1080 8GB | Asus Xonar Essence STX | 32GB Corsair Vengence | Corsair AX860

Comment

Originally posted by mat_turbo View Post
        LOL We were disscusiing how rediculous and massive this would make the XL when it should have in reality been intergrated into the XL. This would have made the XL perfect and a worthwhile purchase for me.
        It should have been integrated but I can see why Nintendo did not have it built in seeing as the second circle pad is not mandatory for 3ds games to support. What Nintendo should have done is added a second circle pad to the original 3ds before it came out over a year ago. I think that that was their main mistake in this whole thing. Now they have to create another circlepad pro attachment which makes the unit even less portable in my opinion.
        Death Row Records Samples List

Comment

Originally posted by hobomotel View Post
          It should have been integrated but I can see why Nintendo did not have it built in seeing as the second circle pad is not mandatory for 3ds games to support. What Nintendo should have done is added a second circle pad to the original 3ds before it came out over a year ago. I think that that was their main mistake in this whole thing. Now they have to create another circlepad pro attachment which makes the unit even less portable in my opinion.
          Yea that the conclusion we came to 'not every game supports it so we wont put it on' but still even if you cant use it its not exactly in the way, the attachment will make the xl very clumbersome.
          My Current PC
          i7 5820k @ 4.4 Ghz w/ Corsair H100i | Asus x99a | 500GB Samsung 850 SSD |250GB Samsung 840 SSD | MSI GTX1080 8GB | Asus Xonar Essence STX | 32GB Corsair Vengence | Corsair AX860

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X