Red Hood is Coming to GOTHAM and Showrunner Promises Shocking Finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hood is Coming to GOTHAM and Showrunner Promises Shocking Finale

With all of the classic Batman villains that are being included in Gotham, fans have been wondering if Red Hood would eventually pop up. Many of you will be happy to hear that Red Hood will, in fact, be making an appearance in the Fox television series.

In an interview with CBR, showrunner Bruno Heller explains that the Red Hood's inclusion will implement the show's "costume strand." When he was asked if Season 1 would remain costume free, he gave the following response:

"I'm looking at several years. So we're in no hurry to [do that] -- there's going to be an episode that involves the Red Hood, which picks up that strand, the costume strand, and sort of gives a kind of philosophical base, if that's not too pretentious a word. Why costumes? What's the power of costumes? What's the power of a mask? All of that groundwork will be laid sort of culturally for that side of the DC Universe before we start rolling into the more spectacular spandex type of deal.

"Because -- I can't remember where I read it -- the reason that the comic book characters wore costumes is because in the very rough printing that they used to have in newspapers, that's the only way you could make a character pop. 'Oh, that's Batman, that's Superman, that's Dick Tracy.' On TV, you don't need that same color and signature to make people pop. It's the characters that pop. So we're never going to be a full-on costume drama. We're going to be a full-on character drama. Like Batman, there's the super powers, super will, and there's super strength, but only on a human level. Not on a supernatural level. It's very important, again, for the longevity of the show, that we take this step by step.

I've always liked their take on this series, and they fact that they are going to hold back on making this a full-on costumed drama is great. The show obviously isn't set up for that. Although it sounds like it also means we won't be seeing any of Batman's more supernatural villains, which could upset some fans. I personally don't think it's a big deal, as I like the world that they've created for the show. Heller goes on to excitedly tease the first season finale, saying:

"We'd always planned for the end of the season to be as big and spectacular and as shocking and as frightening and as sensational as it possibly can be. And we're going ahead with that plan."
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X