Michael C. Hall Shares Thoughts on DEXTER Series Finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael C. Hall Shares Thoughts on DEXTER Series Finale

Turns out, Michael C. Hall didn’t really like the finale either. He was asked about how he reacted when he read the last scene of the series during a recent Reddit AMA, and he replied,

"Probably sadness."

A lot of fans felt the same way, buddy. Of course, he went on to try to explain what the writers were trying to do with that ending.

"Given what [Dexter] had been through, and his attempts to have his cake and eat it too in regards to indulging his compulsion to kill AND have a more authentic life, his self-imposed exile did resonate. I think Dexter came to believe that... anything he touched would eventually be destroyed and so he felt he needed to let it all go. Of course, Dexter is also a pragmatist and a self-preservationalist so he didn't do himself in. But rather put himself on hold."

One of the show’s former showrunners, Clyde Phillips, who left before the series ended, had a much better ending than what we got. He revealed what he would have done about a year ago, and it’s the perfect ending to the dark series. I wish thats’s the one we had seen. In case you missed it, I included it for you to read through below:

"In the very last scene of the series. Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible for killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion.

"[That is] what I personally would have done should I have stayed with the show. I chose not to stay with the show, and so everybody did what they did, and I had no problem with that… and I think they did a good job with the final episode. But [that] is what I personally would have pitched."

And that’s personally what I would have wanted to see. But we never will.

well, I have not a big problem with the ending because I understand what the creator/writers wanted to tell/show us but I have a problem with the whole last season ...the antagonist and the story telling were bad ...the idea behind his code should be told during the whole series and not only in one season ...the last season didnt feel good
    My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
    Vinyls: 60
    Cassettes: 110
    CDs: 216

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X