Floyd Mayweather To Fight Marcos Maidana In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather To Fight Marcos Maidana In May

After weeks of speculation, Floyd Mayweather announces his next opponent: Marcos "El Chino" Maidana.

The undefeated boxing star will take on Maidana, who is coming off a dominating victory over Adrien Broner, on May 3rd via Showtime PPV.

"Marcos Maidana's last performance immediately brought him to my attention," said Mayweather, who celebrated his 37th birthday Monday (Feb. 24). "He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring. I think this is a great fight for me and he deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him -- beat me."

Mayweather (45-0, 26 KOs) is coming off of a huge 2013, where he defeated Robert Guerrero and set a record for the highest-grossing PPV event ever with his win over Canelo Alvarez.

Maidana (35-3, 31 KOs) captured the attention of boxing fans around the world in December with the domination of the then-undefeated rising Adrien Broner, earning a unanimous decision by margins of 117-109, 115-109 and 115-110. He also sent Broner to the canvas twice during the fight, the first two times in his career.

"I am extremely happy to be facing Floyd Mayweather because it will give me the opportunity to show the world that I am the best welterweight in the division," said Maidana, who will represent throngs of Hispanic boxing fans on Cinco de Mayo when he faces the pound-for-pound king. "I just handed a great defensive fighter his first loss and I plan to do the same to Mayweather. I don't care whether he's the best and undefeated. I will bring some real Latino power to him on May 3rd."

The fight will be a unification bout for Mayweather and Maidana's respective 147-pound titles. More details are to follow...
    Source

Gonna be an easy points victory for Mayweather

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X