Tax Officials Freeze Manny Pacquiao's Bank Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Officials Freeze Manny Pacquiao's Bank Accounts

Despite returning to boxing with a dominating victory over Brandon Rios over the weekend, Manny Pacquiao said Tuesday (Nov. 26) he doesn't have the money to help Filipino typhoon victims because tax authorities have frozen his bank accounts.

According to the AP, the Bureau of Internal Revenue says Pac-Man hasn't proven that he's paid taxes from 2008-2009. The organization said the boxer owed 2.2 billion pesos ($50 million) in back taxes as of July.

Pacquiao has reportedly borrowed over 1 million pesos ($22,700) to purchase relief supplies before his fight Sunday with Rios in Macau and will borrow more to keep his word to typhoon victims. With the money, he plans to provide aid to more than 10,000 families.

His camp said he paid taxes in the U.S. after his victories over Ricky Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya, and that a treaty prevents double taxation. While a criminal tax case was dropped by prosecutors for alleged unpaid taxes in 2010, tax claims for the 2008-2009 are still pending.

"I appeal to them to remove the garnishment, so that I can move and pay for my staff's salaries," Pacquiao told reporters. "I am not a criminal or a thief."

He and his wife's accounts have been frozen because of the pending case.
    Source
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X