Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. Speaks On Training Andre Dirrell, 50 Cent Opening A New Boxing G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather Sr. Speaks On Training Andre Dirrell, 50 Cent Opening A New Boxing G

Floyd Mayweather Sr.has been on the boxing scene for decades. He was a welterweight contender in the 70's and 80's. He compiled a record of 28 wins against 6 losses with 18 knockouts.

After retiring he went on to become a legendary trainer. During his career he has trained Floyd Mayweather Jr., Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Joan Guzman, Chad Dawson, Vernon Paris, and Chris Eubank Jr.

He was named the "Trainer of the Year" in 2003, 2006, and 2008 by The World Boxing Hall of Fame. He's also received the WBC "Lifetime Achievement Award."

Floyd Sr. has now assumed the role of training SMS Promotions fighter Andre Dirrell. The 29-year old Dirrell, nicknamed The Matrix, has compiled a pro record of 20 wins against 1 loss with 14 knockouts. He fights as a super middleweight (168 pounds).

Andre Dirrell

In a new interview with Chris Robinson, Floyd said he began training Dirrell at the request of 50 Cent. He believes Dirrell has what it takes to be a world champion one day.

"I think I can get him to be world champion. I definitely believe that," Floyd Sr. said. "I think that he's got the qualities."

Floyd Sr. said he just needs to refine some of Dirrell's techniques.

"There's different things that I've got to enhance him on," Floyd Sr. explained. "His jab sometimes he doesn't throw it out long enough. The jab should be all the way out there. It seems like to me he's got a good right hand. I don't know about his hook, but the overall picture I think that he's a talented fighter. And I definitely think you're looking at the next world champion."

Floyd Sr. also revealed that 50 will be opening a new boxing gym in Las Vegas. It will be located near the Top Rank gym and should be up and running within the next couple of weeks.

During the interview Floyd Sr. talks about molding his son into a championship fighter starting from when he was an amateur. Check that out below.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. interview with Chris Robinson

Andre Dirrell boxing highlights
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X