Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LeBron James to Join the Lakers in 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeBron James to Join the Lakers in 2014?

No team reloads like the Los Angeles Lakers.

Their track record of leveraging their hometown appeal and history, plus applying shrewd management, over the past 30 years is virtually without peer.

With their latest coups -- the stunning Steve Nash sign-and-trade and a victory in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes -- just now coming together for the first time, could the Lakers already be plotting out the next one?

Opposing executives think so. As teams continue their long-range planning and work up opposition strategies, the Lakers remain just as much a threat in the transaction game as they are on the court.

Several teams' executives have told ESPN.com they believe the Lakers are positioning themselves to make a run at LeBron James in 2014, when the Miami Heat star can choose to become a free agent.

In just two years, LeBron James could take over the starring role in Lakerland from Kobe Bryant.
    Recently, Kobe Bryant told CBSSports.com that he sees himself playing only two more seasons (2012-13 and 2013-14) and then retiring at age 35. Bryant said similar things in an interview with Yahoo! Sports over the summer.

Bryant has two years left on his contract, and next season he is scheduled to become just the second player ever to earn more than $30 million in a season. The other was Michael Jordan.

Whether or not you believe the ultra-competitive Bryant will follow through with that retirement plan, his statements seem to be a sign that a contract extension or new contract is no sure thing.

In the wake of the Howard trade, much as been made of the massive luxury-tax bill the Lakers are facing next season if they're able to re-sign the big man. ESPN.com salary cap expert Larry Coon has estimated the Lakers could be on the hook for as much as $85 million just in taxes in 2013-14.

But look a little further, to that 2014-15 season, and you'll see something else: The Lakers' projected payroll is almost completely clear. Only Nash is signed for that season, at $9.7 million, though the Lakers will also be paying about $20 million to Howard if they can re-sign him this coming summer.

In July 2014, Bryant's $30.4 million, Pau Gasol's $19.2 million, Metta World Peace's $7.7 million, Steve Blake's $4 million and Jordan Hill's $3.5 million will come off the books. There likely won't even be any first-round draft picks filling up the cap, either, as the Lakers have already traded their 2013 first-round pick to Phoenix in the Nash deal.

Opposing teams that are making their own long-range free agency plans think they see the Lakers' plan coming into focus. As it stands, L.A. will have enough cap space to add a superstar like James.

"It's not a mistake that all those deals end the same year Kobe's does. They have probably been planning for their next phase for a while," said one general manager. "The Busses and [Lakers GM] Mitch [Kupchak] are always thinking about the next big deal."

No one knows this better than Bryant himself, who has been the beneficiary of the Lakers' aggressive maneuvers for 16-plus years.

"I knew how much the Buss family, Jeanie and so forth, wanted to turn it around," Bryant told CBSSports.com. "I've seen them do it. They rebuilt first by picking up Shaq. ... Then that era was over and they rebuilt again. And now they've rebuilt again. I've seen them do it before."

If Bryant does move on after 18 seasons, as he has openly talked about, they may be ready to do it again.

Whether or not James would be interested in listening to a Lakers offer in two years is impossible to predict now. Remember, in 2008, it was hard to see James ending up in Miami in 2010 even though Heat president Pat Riley, a product of the Lakers' way of thinking, was already preparing to make it happen.

At the moment, the Heat are loaded and poised to be title contenders for the next two seasons.

James is signed through 2016, but he can end his contract in either 2014 or 2015 if he wishes to. He has recently said that he's not thought about his contract decision in 2014, even though he recently switched agents. But observers around the league expect James to opt out of his contract in 2014, no matter what happens with the Heat over the next two seasons. That doesn't mean he won't stay in Miami, but it does mean he might be in play again.

"The agent part probably doesn't matter. LeBron is the best player in the league and he's making less than the max, so unless he's seriously hurt he's going to opt out in 2014, if only because I would assume he wants and deserves to get a true max," said one league executive. "Even if the Heat win the next two titles there's a feeling that LeBron is going to become a free agent in two years no matter what."

Just as during the period from 2008 to 2010, James' free agent plans will probably become a big topic over the next 21 months. They will definitely be a part of various teams' long-term cap planning. Presumably, that list of teams includes the Lakers.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on Chris Paul, LeBron's best friend in the NBA. James has wanted to team up with CP3 for seven years or more. In 2005, when Paul was about to be drafted, James asked the Cavs to attempt to move up to get Paul, but the Cavs did not have the assets to pull off such a trade.

Paul and James have only grown closer since, playing together on Team USA four times since 2006 and winning gold medals in 2008 and last summer. Paul will be a free agent in 2013, and his situation could influence James' plans a year later.

In any case, the Lakers are positioning themselves to be major players again, post-Bryant. Based on their long track record, there's no reason to believe they won't aim for the biggest star possible. In 2014, that likely will be LeBron James.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85...ron-james-2014

Here's ESPN Report On It

Comment

Yeah I laughed my ass off when I saw this bullshit on ESPN. Okay, so depending on whether or not Kobe isn't full of shit with his 2 year retirement plan, Lebron goes to the Lakers because of all the cap space. Yeah, having all that money automatically equals Lebron to LA. Please, Brian Windhorst's fat ass just didn't have anything to report that day so he decides to start some drama 2 fucking years before Lebron can even opt out of his contract. Gotta love it. His "sources" are jerking him around.

Comment

Yeah that would make a lot of sense, just throw every A-NBA Superster in one team so no one will care for the rest of the league rofl rofl rofl rofl

Originally posted by Flintheart_Glomgold
        Calm down. This doesnt affect your life. Get over it. Its ancient history and the only thing thats certain is that you dont have all the facts. Even if you did, try to occupy your time with something more wholesome.

Comment

Originally posted by LabelMeAnOutlaw View Post
          Yeah I laughed my ass off when I saw this bullshit on ESPN. Okay, so depending on whether or not Kobe isn't full of shit with his 2 year retirement plan, Lebron goes to the Lakers because of all the cap space. Yeah, having all that money automatically equals Lebron to LA. Please, Brian Windhorst's fat ass just didn't have anything to report that day so he decides to start some drama 2 fucking years before Lebron can even opt out of his contract. Gotta love it. His "sources" are jerking him around.
          Well Kobe signed a deal to retire in 2014 with gives LA $30.4 Million to give to LeBron, He is Currently Getting 19 Mill in Miami so thats a Big 11.4 Million more in LA Plus Another Young Star to Play with Dwight will 28 and Lebron 29 Plus We Win Consistantly not for just 3 to 4 years then be irrevevent again like the Miami Heat.

Last edited by Makaveli5458; 10-20-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Comment

1: Kobe's contract ends in 2014 (meaning he can reup), he didn't sign a "deal to retire". lol
              2: Lebron + Dwight don't equal automatic championship. LA blows all their money on them two, who the fuck will they get to surround them? 2 players don't win a championship. Doesn't work like that. It's the reason why pretty much everyone on the Heat took a paycut. Financial sacrifice for that championship.
              3: The Lakers first have to sign Dwight. They don't even have him yet. Talk about jumping the gun. "Lebron going to LA in 2014." Motherfucker, first sign Dwight. That's a mission in itself, everybody knows Dwight is a hoe to deal with. Get your ducks in a row before hopping all over the place talking about who you going to get. Dwight has enough problems trying to hop off of Shaq's nuts.
              4: Know why Lebron went to Miami? Aside from the mastermind that is Pat Riley. A man by the name of Dwyane Wade. Sure he's another superstar, but the thing that really got him to go was that them two are close friends. Lebron don't fuck with Dwight like that. Besides, Lebron isn't hurting for money. Endorsements more than take care of what he's not getting on an NBA contract.
              5: Keep dreaming, it's not going to happen. I love how he's a bitch when with the Heat but if he happens to land on your team, it's all good. "Fans" these days, gotta love it.

Comment

3: The Lakers first have to sign Dwight. They don't even have him yet. Talk about jumping the gun. "Lebron going to LA in 2014." Motherfucker, first sign Dwight.
                Just so you know, they have already signed him lol. There was a press conference on ESPN with Dwight and holding up his Laker jersey

Originally posted by Flintheart_Glomgold
                Calm down. This doesnt affect your life. Get over it. Its ancient history and the only thing thats certain is that you dont have all the facts. Even if you did, try to occupy your time with something more wholesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Klockwork View Post
                  Just so you know, they have already signed him lol. There was a press conference on ESPN with Dwight and holding up his Laker jersey
                  I'm not talking about him being under the same contract from the Orlando Magic. He was traded to the Lakers, he's still under that contract from the trade. I obviously meant re-sign, as in an actual Lakers contract. Howard can leave after this season. They don't have him signed for the years to come yet. Hilarious that you couldn't figure out that's what I meant.

Comment

1: Kobe's contract ends in 2014 (meaning he can reup), he didn't sign a "deal to retire". lol
                    2: Lebron + Dwight don't equal automatic championship. LA blows all their money on them two, who the fuck will they get to surround them? 2 players don't win a championship. Doesn't work like that. It's the reason why pretty much everyone on the Heat took a paycut. Financial sacrifice for that championship.
                    3: The Lakers first have to sign Dwight. They don't even have him yet. Talk about jumping the gun. "Lebron going to LA in 2014." Motherfucker, first sign Dwight. That's a mission in itself, everybody knows Dwight is a hoe to deal with. Get your ducks in a row before hopping all over the place talking about who you going to get. Dwight has enough problems trying to hop off of Shaq's nuts.
                    4: Know why Lebron went to Miami? Aside from the mastermind that is Pat Riley. A man by the name of Dwyane Wade. Sure he's another superstar, but the thing that really got him to go was that them two are close friends. Lebron don't fuck with Dwight like that. Besides, Lebron isn't hurting for money. Endorsements more than take care of what he's not getting on an NBA contract.
                    5: Keep dreaming, it's not going to happen. I love how he's a bitch when with the Heat but if he happens to land on your team, it's all good. "Fans" these days, gotta love it.
                    well Kobe got the 30 mill with the 2 Year deal in place call it a gentle man agreement so why would LeBron Pass up going to LA with all the cap space in 2 years time plus its Mitch Cupcheck who is the mastermind with getting Nash then Dwight while keeping Pau Gasol so really why stay in Miami with a old cripple and injury prone dwayne wade and bosh at 15 ppg when can come to LA With Dwight being 28 in 2 yrs and LeBron being 29 so Yeah I Think Him arriving In Los Angeles with the Lakers with MORE Potential of Wining and an extra 11.4 mill plus money from More endorsement being in Enteraintment Capital of the world Bron could be Earnin a Cool $50 Mill Plus More Importantly Some More Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Makaveli5458 View Post
                      why would LeBron Pass up going to LA
                      Simple, he has no desire to go to LA. Just because it makes sense on paper doesn't mean it's how things are going to turn out. Like I said, Lakers should worry about securing Dwight (remember, he's sensitive about being in Shaq's shadow) before worrying about anyone else. Don't be surprised if he wants out after this season (deep down he still wants to be in Brooklyn). And the squad they have now really isn't that impressive considering the age of most of these motherfuckers. Who outside of their starting 5 (Kobe, Pau, Artest, Nash, Dwight) is a threat on the floor? Nobody. Can't win shit without a bench. You're going to find out how much of a fail this squad is going to be. You old enough to remember the not-so-long days of Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton? See how that turned out? Throwing stars together doesn't always equal success. The Thunder are going to give the Lakers hell. Enjoy going as far as the WCF. And that's if San Antonio decides to just lay down. Shit even the Clippers will give their share of problems to the Lakers with all them role players they got now.

Now with all that said, this season looks like it's going to be very interesting. Good time to be an NBA fan.

Comment

Simple, he has no desire to go to LA. Just because it makes sense on paper doesn't mean it's how things are going to turn out. Like I said, Lakers should worry about securing Dwight (remember, he's sensitive about being in Shaq's shadow) before worrying about anyone else. Don't be surprised if he wants out after this season (deep down he still wants to be in Brooklyn). And the squad they have now really isn't that impressive considering the age of most of these motherfuckers. Who outside of their starting 5 (Kobe, Pau, Artest, Nash, Dwight) is a threat on the floor? Nobody. Can't win shit without a bench. You're going to find out how much of a fail this squad is going to be. You old enough to remember the not-so-long days of Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton? See how that turned out? Throwing stars together doesn't always equal success. The Thunder are going to give the Lakers hell. Enjoy going as far as the WCF. And that's if San Antonio decides to just lay down. Shit even the Clippers will give their share of problems to the Lakers with all them role players they got now.

Now with all that said, this season looks like it's going to be very interesting. Good time to be an NBA fan.
                        Yeah that 03-04 team 1st in west and made the NBA Finals and how ock give Us problems with no big men bosh is too weak and blake griffin flops like the rest of the flippers LA Barring major injury to any of the Big 4 will be Fine

Comment

Yeah that 03-04 team 1st in west and made the NBA Finals and how ock give Us problems with no big men bosh is too weak and blake griffin flops like the rest of the flippers LA Barring major injury to any of the Big 4 will be Fine
                          The Thunder have no big men, but they more than make up for it in other areas. Westbrook is waayyy more athletic than Nash. Thabo did an excellent job on containing Kobe. And Durant is an absolute nightmare for anyone on LA to defend. The size problem really only applies to Miami, but their bench more than makes up for it. I disagree that The Clippers will pose much of a threat, but the Heat and especially the Thunder/Spurs can hold their own because their bench has much more depth than the Lakers.

All in all this season in the NBA seems fun to watch. A lot of the teams seem to have gotten better....
                          A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
                          & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
                          & getting the benefits that go along with it
                          Everythin that's out here for kings like us
                          The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
                          They don't understand is because we really from Africa
                          & that's where all this stuff come from
                          & we originated from kings

Comment

Originally posted by H.O.V.A. View Post
                            The Thunder have no big men, but they more than make up for it in other areas. Westbrook is waayyy more athletic than Nash. Thabo did an excellent job on containing Kobe. And Durant is an absolute nightmare for anyone on LA to defend. The size problem really only applies to Miami, but their bench more than makes up for it. I disagree that The Clippers will pose much of a threat, but the Heat and especially the Thunder/Spurs can hold their own because their bench has much more depth than the Lakers.

All in all this season in the NBA seems fun to watch. A lot of the teams seem to have gotten better....
                            we actually have a sold bench Jamison Hill Meeks Blake Duhon heat ray allen rashard lewis okc harden and nobody

Comment

we actually have a sold bench Jamison Hill Meeks Blake Duhon heat ray allen rashard lewis okc harden and nobody
                              OKC has Nick Collison coming off the bench. We also have Eric Maynor, who was injured last season. He really could've helped the team up since he's a better "point-guard" than Westbrook. Haven't really been watching the preseason games, and I haven't been keeping up with the transactions they've made during the offseason so I can't really comment about everyone else.
                              A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
                              & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
                              & getting the benefits that go along with it
                              Everythin that's out here for kings like us
                              The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
                              They don't understand is because we really from Africa
                              & that's where all this stuff come from
                              & we originated from kings

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X