State Of Hip Hop (from XXL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Of Hip Hop (from XXL)

Rap has it's complex moments, where the people want information, and than moments where people just wanna have fun. Problem is, people are having too much fun, and soon rap's gonna get serious again. This sh*t happens all the time. People were gettin' funky to Kid-N-Play, but then N.W.A. came with Straight Outta Compton. Any artist that doesn't wanna sell a million ringtones and make a bunch of money...I'm not sayin' you have to dance or anything. Fat Joe made it rain, he didn't have to dance, and he sold a million ringtones. Everybody has to do what they got to do. So if anybody feels that Soulja Boy or Huey is gonna kill hip-hop, then you need to kill yourself. Years ago, everybody thought MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice was gonna destroy hip-hop. Now everybody wants endorsement deals and TV shows like MC Hammer. At the end of the day, 16 year olds make music for 16 year olds, and if a 20+ year old doesn't get it, it's probably because they're not supposed to. The problem with hip-hop to me is that we have too many entertainers and not enough fans. Labels went from being owned by individuals to subsidiaries owned by the board. A lot of these major companies go into board meetings, and if so-and-so hasn't made X amount of dollars this quarter, he's got to go. Record companies don't have time or money to nurture artists anymore. Naturally rap has become mainstream pop music. It's due to radio. All you need is a hook and a beat nowadays. You don't really have to say anything. I think people stopped giving a sh*t about their lyrics.
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X