The Hate U Give

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hate U Give

Has anyone seen this movie? If so, what do you think about it?

It's title is a reference to Tupac and it has many references in it, here's the trailer:

Angie Thomas, author of the novel "The Hate U Give", is heavily influenced by 2Pac. I saw her wearing Death Row medallion in one documentary. I watched the movie just because of the title.

In an interview with Cosmo, Angie Thomas said "When we were trying to figure out a title for the book, I came across a YouTube clip of him discussing THUG LIFE. […] When I saw him explain what it means, it hit me that that’s not just in my book, but that’s what we see in society. When these unarmed black people lose their lives, the hate they’ve been given screws us all. We see it in the form of anger and we see it in the form of riots. So when I saw that in the video, it was like a sign."

Comment

Saw this on a torrent a week ago, had a feeling (from reading the background to the movie) it would spawn some 2Pac references, or have some sort of 'influence' serrounding him.

Not the best reviews though?

Originally posted by Flintheart_Glomgold
      Calm down. This doesnt affect your life. Get over it. Its ancient history and the only thing thats certain is that you dont have all the facts. Even if you did, try to occupy your time with something more wholesome.

Comment

Thought it was pretty good

The pac reference is how it is with theyoung kids these days, he's just a relic to them

Comment

For some reason, I'd prefer to read the book first. I'll def. purchase a copy before this fall is over.
          Saw several of her interviews. Thought I'd share this one right here. She made it very clear that it was Tupac who inspired her work

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X