Ant-Man Update From Edgar Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant-Man Update From Edgar Wright

Writer-director Edgar Wright calls Ant-Man "A superhero film within another genre."

IGN recently caught up with Edgar Wright to discuss forthcoming feature The World’s End, and while we had the writer-director on the line, we took the opportunity to quiz him about superhero flick Ant-Man, the first film in the third cycle of Marvel movies heading into cinemas.

Speaking of the ways in which his effort will differ to other comic-book movies, Wright said: “It’s a way of doing a superhero film within another genre. I wanted to tell an origin tale in a slightly different way. It’s part of the Marvel cinematic universe, but it also feels like its own piece.”

As for the reason it’s taken so long to make it to the big-screen, Wright said that it’s all been part of the plan. “I’ve been collaborating with [Marvel boss] Kevin [Feige] during the whole of that cycle” he explained. “I think people have always assumed… ‘Oh why is it taking so long to make?’ Part of it is because I wanted to make two other movies first. I wanted to make World’s End… me and Simon were very keen to make it and it felt like it was unfinished business and we wanted to wrap up the trilogy. The script came together really fast. Well not really fast, but it came together at a certain point where it was like ‘I really want to do this next.’

“But to be honest, the later I do it, it feels like I could learn more, especially about special effects. It’s a big effects movie, so I’m pleased to go into it having done Scott Pilgrim and The World’s End because you’re always learning more about that side.”

Indeed, Wright revealed that the Ant-Man test footage that screened at Comic-Con last year was shot just before The World’s End, and he even spent some of his days off finishing the effects. “I hope that at some point we’ll be able to show that at some venue all finished” he added. "Because obviously at Comic-Con we showed it unfinished. All done it looks really good.”

And when asked about his favourite Marvel movie, Wright had no hesitation: “I guess my two favourites would have to be Iron Man and The Avengers. I’ve enjoyed all of them and I think those two are the ones that score highest on the popcorn metre. That totally work as great crowd-pleasers. And I think what they’ve managed to do in terms of The Avengers coming after a five-film cycle, is kind of extraordinary and unprecedented in cinema history. To bring together four other franchises into one. It couldn’t have gone better could it? It’s amazing.”

Ant-Man is set to release at the tail-end of 2015, while The World’s End hits this summer.

Who has read this thread:
Working...
X