X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Panfruit View Post
      That was a particularly fascinating and haunting novel; but sadly the film did not do it justice. Tarkovsky made beautiful films, but this film, along with 'Stalker', were terribly adaptations, replacing the heart of the stories with beautiful-yet-yawn-inducing imagery. The sham he made of Roadside Picnic I could never forgive. That novel could be an incredible film, too bad Tarkovsky was not up to the task. It may be that the special effects necessary to portray the planet and its incarnations in 'Solaris' were above his budget, and probably anyone would have had a hard time with the technology available back then. It might have been easier to portray The Zone, so I imagine it was lack of skill and/or/and money to funnel into special effects that made him take the films in the directions he chose.

2/10 -- bleh.
      I've began reading the book (only on chapter 2 lol), but I can see where you're coming from. But as I've only seen Solaris from Tarkovsky's film, (the director of some of my favourite films), it was still a chilling and patiently mystic experience for me, perhaps too patient, but it was still greatly compelling and intensely poignant film for me. You're maybe right about the lack of budget, and maybe my opinion of the film will change when I finish the book. But for now I think that the film became great in it's own respect that it became distinct from the beauteousness of the book - and that's probably what makes opinions between them clash, maybe. I suspect that I'm wrong since I haven't finished the book. I've enjoyed what I read so far and anticipate the rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackV View Post
        I've began reading the book (only on chapter 2 lol), but I can see where you're coming from. But as I've only seen Solaris from Tarkovsky's film, (the director of some of my favourite films), it was still a chilling and patiently mystic experience for me, perhaps too patient, but it was still greatly compelling and intensely poignant film for me. You're maybe right about the lack of budget, and maybe my opinion of the film will change when I finish the book. But for now I think that the film became great in it's own respect that it became distinct from the beauteousness of the book - and that's probably what makes opinions between them clash, maybe. I suspect that I'm wrong since I haven't finished the book. I've enjoyed what I read so far and anticipate the rest.
        Regardless of my qualms with that adaptation, the guy made beautiful films. Such gorgeous shots.
        It make homos game at females.

Comment

• 8/10

Comment

• 8/10
            Last edited by cant; 07-16-2013, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• american wedding..love stiffler
                Love.

Comment

• Брат 2 (Brother 2)

7.5/10

Comment

• [MENTION=1290]DJ Manny can i trust ur ratings? coze all films got like 8/10 is vhs really that good?
                    He was a nice middle class nigga
                    But nobody knew the evil he'd do When he got a little bigger
                    Shorty Wanna Be A Thug - Tupac

Comment

• Finally broke my John Ford virginity and it was hella worth it

The movie is as fresh as ever, and indeed one of my favourite ever westerns. 8.5/10 - real masterpiece.

Comment

• caught two flicks this week, the first one...

8/10

and the second....

3/10

Comment

• 7/10

Comment

• my letterboxd review

The Searchers is a true epitome of the western genre, John Ford's composes a picture that conveys us along a transcendental journey in a quest to find oneself. 8.5/10

Comment

• 7.5/10

Comment

• 9/10

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                                Working...
                                X