Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp to leave club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp to leave club

Harry Redknapp was negotiating his exit from Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night after accepting that his four years at the club are drawing to an abrupt close.

The 65 year-old met Spurs *chairman Daniel Levy yesterday after talks over a new contract broke down. Last night, sources suggested the talks, which followed an initial *meeting two weeks ago and another discussion earlier this week, had “not gone well” and that it was extremely likely the manager would leave White Hart Lane
    It is understood that Redknapp, who does not want to resign formally, is prepared to leave Spurs if agreement over the final year of his *£3  million-a-season contract can be reached. The talks, which also involved Redknapp’s recently employed agent Paul Stretford and Richard Bevan, the chief executive of the League Managers Association, were continuing last night.
    Spurs are likely to turn to David Moyes should Redknapp go. Everton are braced for an approach but the Premier League club remain *confident that their manager will resist an offer.
    However, Moyes also has only one year left on his contract, which is also thought to be worth around £3m a year. He might be interested in a move to Spurs given their greater resources and financial muscle.
    Wigan Athletic’s Roberto Martínez would be another candidate for Spurs – and might interest Everton should Moyes leave – along with former Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas, who would be interested in joining the north London club.

Given Levy’s reputation for tough negotiating, the prospect of a deal not being reached and Redknapp attempting to carry on was still an outside possibility last night.
    The pair have made an unlikely partnership at Spurs since Redknapp succeeded Juande Ramos in October 2008 following six defeats in eight games, the club’s worst-ever start to a Premier League season.
    Redknapp has admitted to tension although he has also praised Levy and the club, not least for the unstinting support they showed him during the trial in which he was acquitted of alleged tax evasion.
    Redknapp has revitalised the team and brought them success as well as the kind of entertaining football that Spurs fans demand. However, despite finishing fourth in the Premier League this season, they failed to qualify for the Champions League because Chelsea won the competition.
    Spurs had been preparing for *Redknapp to take over as England manager after Fabio Capello quit in February but that job went to Roy Hodgson. Redknapp admitted that he would have liked the post, which led to discussions over a new long-term deal being put on hold. The *prospect of a rolling 12-month *contract emerged instead.
    Only last week, Redknapp *confirmed that he would have taken the England job. That led to *accusations – which he strongly refuted – that he lost focus with Spurs. In the end, the Football Association did not approach him.
    Spurs’ collapse in form, in which they won only four of their final 13 league matches, worsened the increasing tension. Levy has always wanted eventually to reinstate a *system involving a tracksuit manager or head coach working with a director of *football. He might turn to that if *Redknapp goes.
    It is believed that Levy would have been keen to employ Brendan Rodgers had Redknapp taken the England job, but he has now moved from Swansea City to Liverpool. *Redknapp has long been linked with coaching roles in the Middle East, with claims yesterday that the Dubai-based club Al Ahli were keen to employ him on a *lucrative two-year deal.
    On Tuesday night, Redknapp reacted angrily to claims that he was about to quit Spurs. It would still be a shock should he go, despite the *persisting suggestions that he is on the brink of departure and that *discussions to that effect have taken place.
    “I haven’t resigned and I have no idea why it’s being suggested I have,” he said. “This is an outrage, an *absolute liberty for people to be putting around this kind of rumour. It is not true. There is not a chance I will resign. Why should I? I have a year left on my contract.”
    Spurs are in a state of flux, with bids to sign Ajax defender Jan *Vertonghen and Marseille striker Loïc Rémy offset by Luka Modric strongly considering a transfer request. *Jermain Defoe has also questioned whether he has a future at the club.
    Vedran Corluka, who is also likely to leave Spurs, having spent last season on loan to Bayer Leverkusen, said that he felt his fellow Croatian Modric would move. “Not getting into the Champions’ League will cost Spurs next season,” he said.

Who has read this thread:
Working...
X