Michael Sam Could Be First Openly Gay NFL Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Sam Could Be First Openly Gay NFL Player

Missouri All-American Michael Sam has come out, revealing in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday (Feb. 9) that he's gay.

The defensive lineman, who was named the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, is eligible for the NFL draft in May, and if drafted, will be the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

"I am an openly, proud gay man," Sam said in the interview, stating that his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August. "I understand how big this is," he added. "It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

According to ESPN, Sam's decision to come out comes after his experience two weeks ago at the Senior Bowl, where, he said, many already seemed aware of his sexual orientation.

"I didn't realize how many people actually knew, and I was afraid that someone would tell or leak something out about me," he said. "I want to own my truth. ... No one else should tell my story but me."

The football player says coming out to his Mizzou teammates last year was a key moment, and was immediately an afterthought during preseason training camp.

"Coaches just wanted to know a little about ourselves, our majors, where we're from, and something that no one knows about you," Sam said. "And I used that opportunity just to tell them that I was gay. And their reaction was like, 'Michael Sam finally told us.' "
    Source
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X