Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st attempts with GarageBand

hi guys,

short story about Music & me, Music was very important to me my whole life. I grew up with a lot Reggae and Rock like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & the Doors etc. and Greek Folk Music lol

My Father was a Fanatic, I remember everytime some Music was playing, but he never learned any instruments...

So I had to learn how to play guitar as a kid but I neglected it as a teenager because I was more into Hip Hop & R&B. The internet came, my homies & me were downloading mixtapes and we started to make our own mixtapes, but we neglected this too.

I was just a listener most time of my life, but 3 years ago I had this idea that I must try to make my own beats, so that I can say when I'm an old man that I at least tried to make music.

Over the years I put some money on the side when it was possible lol, and finally bought me last November an iMac and a M-Audio Oxygen 61 MK4 and some Beyerdynamics DT-770.

Since November my focus is on learning how to play keyboard. My plan is to make Hip Hop and Reggae/Dancehall beats.

I just played a little bit with GarageBand Made some simple beats, for the beginning with not too many instruments.

Now I need some Feedback, and since we have some pros here, is it the best place to share...

I made 2 Beats, I'm happier with the 2nd I have no clue how to master tracks and everything, but I'm learning every minute when I've free time and watching tutorials and reading.

Here's the 1st...

...and the 2nd

Feedback appreciated thanks in advance
    "You sell all that Cocaaaine, just to buy a Gold Chaaain!!!"

So guys, since it's very quiet here lol

I've some news...some boys on youtube liked my beat and made a rap & video on it...for the 1st time someone's rapping on my stuff, I'm impressed

I made 2 new beats...feedback/vocals/raps appreciated...

Comment

I quickly listened to the Erhu beat and is it just me or are some elements off key (23 seconds)? Also I'm not a fan of that one finger bass line style.
      Had an even quicker click on the others and I don't like any of your drums as they all sound weak like they are standard factory presets (but then you've said you don't master so...), speaking of which the VSTs sound thin and cheap too.

When I made beats I always started with the drums, made sure they were slamming with crisp snares and then started throwing everything else into the mix but the "colour" of the elements youre using (or heavily recycling) in each tune don't really do it for me.

You'll be amazed at what you can cook up with a great sounds, if you're serious about this make that a priority as a nice set of drums with some synths/piano/whatever thrown on top can knock and that in itself helps the inspiration to flow.

Either way keep it up as its always great to create.
      I'd like to impart some words that I've always lived by:
      Mo' money, mo money, mo money.

Comment

Thank you so much for this honest and constructive feedback! this is what I need

Originally posted by Palmolive Thug View Post
        I quickly listened to the Erhu beat and is it just me or are some elements off key (23 seconds)? Also I'm not a fan of that one finger bass line style.
        yea maybe you're right, a lil bit off beat...

lol, the bass line, I know they sound all similar, this style was the easiest for me to find a good melody, I need more practice with the keyboard to make some more sophisticated melodies and bass lines...

Had an even quicker click on the others and I don't like any of your drums as they all sound weak like they are standard factory presets (but then you've said you don't master so...), speaking of which the VSTs sound thin and cheap too.
        exactly, I've the same problem with the drums, I tried to master but maybe wrong, I tried a lot but then I just used the Preset for Hip Hop in GarageBand. (don't kill me) LOL

I just use what I have in GarageBand preinstalled, no other VSTs or Plugins...

I watched videos for mastering but I don't get smarter Do you have any easy-understandable-tips for me, how to master?

When I made beats I always started with the drums, made sure they were slamming with crisp snares and then started throwing everything else into the mix...
        yea, I start with the Drums too, but for the beginning I use GarageBands Drummer, idk if you know this, but it's very simple to make drum loops with it...for the start it's ok, but I'm hard trying to make some selfmade drum loops...

and then I'm just playing a lil bit to find a bass line that fits to the drums...

but the "colour" of the elements youre using (or heavily recycling) in each tune don't really do it for me.
        Can you explain this please? Don't you like the sound of the instruments (master problem) or in general the melodies?

You'll be amazed at what you can cook up with a great sounds, if you're serious about this make that a priority as a nice set of drums with some synths/piano/whatever thrown on top can knock and that in itself helps the inspiration to flow.

Either way keep it up as its always great to create.
        Thanks again I'm dead serious about this I want my own music! and I've enough time to learn...like you said, it's great to create

Even if it's not perfect, I really like the song the 2 guys made on Erhu beat...amazing feeling to bump it while cruising

Comment

The key to being a good producer is having a good library of sounds and then customizing them, well mixed stock sounds (esp garageband ones) still sound wack. Native Instruments, EastWest/Quantum Leap etc.. find one that vibes with your style and take it from there then start collecting your own sounds, samples etc as you go along.

You could take 80% of the structure of any one of the tracks you've made there and simply slide in some better soundfonts and they'd automatically start sounding great. I generally prefer mixing as I go (roughly just to the basic feel/vibe) but you can't polish a turd so it helps to have decent sounds to play with in the first place, plus once you've got a good library you'll find the inspiration flowing automatically as you'll find a dope kick and be like "I know which snare to add that to" and then you'll go about crafting a fitting bassline and it all takes off.

Have fun

Comment

The key to being a good producer is having a good library of sounds and then customizing them, well mixed stock sounds (esp garageband ones) still sound wack. Native Instruments, EastWest/Quantum Leap etc.. find one that vibes with your style and take it from there then start collecting your own sounds, samples etc as you go along.

You could take 80% of the structure of any one of the tracks you've made there and simply slide in some better soundfonts and they'd automatically start sounding great. I generally prefer mixing as I go (roughly just to the basic feel/vibe) but you can't polish a turd so it helps to have decent sounds to play with in the first place, plus once you've got a good library you'll find the inspiration flowing automatically as you'll find a dope kick and be like "I know which snare to add that to" and then you'll go about crafting a fitting bassline and it all takes off.

Have fun
            You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Palmolive Thug again.
            Thanks a lot bro this is some feedback I can work with

I'll experiment with some different drum kits and some mastering, tbh I made it too easy. I just selected the Master Preset for Hip Hop lol

Atm I'm just using the drumpads on my keyboard, but I planned in future to buy a Native Instruments Maschine...

I must spend more time with mastering and learning how it works...and I must train my ears to hear those lil differences.

I'll try to make my beats better and maybe then you can listen again

Have a blessed day

peace

Comment

I think they sound good for your first attempt. And congratulations to having rappers on your beats

I like ehra and ital.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                Thanks a lot bro this is some feedback I can work with

I'll experiment with some different drum kits and some mastering, tbh I made it too easy. I just selected the Master Preset for Hip Hop lol

Atm I'm just using the drumpads on my keyboard, but I planned in future to buy a Native Instruments Maschine...

I must spend more time with mastering and learning how it works...and I must train my ears to hear those lil differences.

I'll try to make my beats better and maybe then you can listen again

Have a blessed day

peace
                All good my man, I like to help when I can. Maschine is a great investment, I use one myself and it almost feels like cheating as the beats flow so easily plus the Komplete library you get (as well as addons) sound wonderfully crisp. The only bummer is the lack of a proper DAW so you can't do everything all in one which would've been perfect but for what you pay and what you get its a wonderful rig but its like I said, the raw quality of your sounds is what defines your tracks at the end of the day and not so much the mix (even though it is important to master properly for maximum bumpage).

Remaking beats you like is a great way to dive in as it gives you a good feel for the track and allows you to scope out your own workflow.

Some people can make hits with a mouse and clicked in drums, I need pads to beat up as it works better for me that way. The trick is finding what works for you and then doing it, making beats is a wonderful buzz though - hours can fly by like seconds and its very satisfying. Passion is the most important thing, it trumps nearly everything bar talent so have fun and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by hc View Post
                  I think they sound good for your first attempt. And congratulations to having rappers on your beats

I like ehra and ital.
                  much thanks and love bro It was an awesome feeling 1st time I heard some rap on my beat I was in Greece when they uploaded the song, it was in the middle of the night, my bro and me were drinking some tsipouro(liquor made by my uncle) and beer. Then I received a notification from YT, track is online!

For the success we were drinking more liquor and bumping it on repeat lol I'll never forget this night, great feeling!

All good my man, I like to help when I can. Maschine is a great investment, I use one myself and it almost feels like cheating as the beats flow so easily plus the Komplete library you get (as well as addons) sound wonderfully crisp. The only bummer is the lack of a proper DAW so you can't do everything all in one which would've been perfect but for what you pay and what you get its a wonderful rig but its like I said, the raw quality of your sounds is what defines your tracks at the end of the day and not so much the mix (even though it is important to master properly for maximum bumpage).

Remaking beats you like is a great way to dive in as it gives you a good feel for the track and allows you to scope out your own workflow.

Some people can make hits with a mouse and clicked in drums, I need pads to beat up as it works better for me that way. The trick is finding what works for you and then doing it, making beats is a wonderful buzz though - hours can fly by like seconds and its very satisfying. Passion is the most important thing, it trumps nearly everything bar talent so have fun and enjoy.
                  yea, a friend of mine uses the maschine too and he suggested it to me. Sounds great, to work with it. I planned when I reached the full potential of GarageBand I'll upgrade to Logic Pro some day.

I def need to find my best work flow, but I like the feeling of the drumpads more than playing with the keys...

Exactly, it's so relaxing when I got my headphones on, I don't realize any time, time is running. The feeling to create something is awesome, just indescribably!

EDIT: I never thought about remaking a beat, sounds like great practice I'll try...
                  Last edited by AK47; 06-16-2017, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X