New PS4 Update Detailed, Will Bring External HDD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PS4 Update Detailed, Will Bring External HDD Support

Sony has detailed the features coming in the PlayStation 4's next firmware update, which is codenamed "Sasuke."

Update 4.50 will introduce external hard drive support, allowing external storage that supports USB 3.0 to be recognised by the console. According to the official PlayStation Blog, hard drives of up to 8TB are compatible; you'll also be able to download and install directly to them.

Custom wallpapers will also be added as part of the update, so you can "set your favorite in-game screenshot as the background image for PS4's home screen." Effects such as drop-shadows on text and dimmed function area will "help keep the system icons and texts on the home screen clearly visible even if the background image you selected is super bright." Screenshots can be edited in the Sharefactory to be further customised.

The quick menu, which is accessed by holding down the PS button on the PS4's controller, will also be refreshed to "make it even more accessible." It will cover less of the gameplay screen and give players quicker access to Party features.

The notification list has been simplified: it is now a single list that surfaces information on game alerts, downloads, uploads. Additionally, the ability to post directly into the Activity Feed has also been added.

Finally, the update will let 3D movies to be viewable in stereoscopic 3D using the PlayStation VR headset.

Sony has said there "are more features included in [update] 4.50," and it will have "additional info, including launch timing, in the weeks to come."

On February 2, Sony announced it shipped 9.7 million PS4 consoles in the three months spanning October 1 to December 31, 2016. This is an improvement over the same period in 2015, when it shipped 8.4 million units.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
    sigpic

That's pretty awesome. So I won't have to deal with opening up the PS4 to swap a hd I can just hook up an external. I'm going to do that and install all my games on it.

Comment

I've read somewhere that it has to be an usb 3.0 ext hdd.

I've got 8 external hdd's laying around, but none is 3.0.. lol.

R.I.P wallet, incoming 6 TB 3.0 ext hdd.. Hello.. lol..

Comment

Originally posted by 2psah View Post
        I've read somewhere that it has to be an usb 3.0 ext hdd.

I've got 8 external hdd's laying around, but none is 3.0.. lol.

R.I.P wallet, incoming 6 TB 3.0 ext hdd.. Hello.. lol..
        I have 6 external drives, only 1 is usb 3.0 but it's only 1TB
        I'll buy a bigger for sure, cause this will be great, no more worrying about free disc space

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah the bigger space is only a good pint in my view.

Comment

PS4 will be around for a very long time. They should save PlayStation5 for 2025.

Comment

Ive got the 4.50 Beta and i am so happy with the new custom wallpaper, it's about time!
              - Steez 4 President -

Comment

Originally posted by Hard2Kill View Post
                PS4 will be around for a very long time. They should save PlayStation5 for 2025.
                PS5 will probably be announced in 2 years..

Comment

Originally posted by 2psah View Post
                  PS5 will probably be announced in 2 years..
                  That would be too soon and a disappointment.

Comment

I wish they'd include backwards compatibility again. But this update sounds great. I was just gifted a PS4 in December.

Comment

Yes we do need backwards capability. It's a shame they took it away from PS3 a long time ago. Or maybe it was PS4?

Comment

the fat ps3 had backwards compatibility, they removed it on the ps3 slim & super slim

Hello, this is Tupac, the person that you are trying to destroy with this bullshit you writing.
                        First of all, I have no problem with handicap people. Before you print some shit like this, you should check with me. Asshole.

Comment

they just want suckers to keep buying the same games over and over

Comment

Originally posted by FreeEmAll View Post
                            the fat ps3 had backwards compatibility, they removed it on the ps3 slim & super slim
                            Yeah that's what it was. The original 60gb PS3 had backwards capability but they patched it with a software update. Wtf. So it's completely capable of this function but they don't allow it.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                            Working...
                            X