Bruce Timm on Harley Quinn's Look in SUICIDE SQUAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Timm on Harley Quinn's Look in SUICIDE SQUAD

For those of you who don't know, Harley Quinn was co-created by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, and the character made her first appearance in Batman: The Animated Series. It's pretty incredible to see how popular she has become over the years. The people who worked on the show at the time never imagined the character would blow up the way she did.

During an interview with io9, Timm talked about Harley Quinn and offered up his thoughts on her new look in David Ayer's upcoming film Suicide Squad. As you know, we got our first look at the femme fatale earlier this week, and it was met with a lot of mixed reactions. When Timm was asked about what he thought of the look, he said:

"I just saw the pic like a couple hours ago. It was interesting. I was frankly a little nervous about what Harley would look like, but I thought she looked really cool. So I’m optimistic, we'll see."

So it seems like it gets the co-creator's seal of approval. The animation producer, director, and artist then when on to talk about the most important elements of Harley Quinn:

"It’s funny, because she started off as just like a one joke idea and she’s gained all these different dimensions from all the stories we did, and the stuff that happens in the comics. I think bottom line the most important thing about her is that she’s funny. One way or the other regardless of what her backstory is, or whether she’s in an abusive relationship with the Joker, or if she’s off on her own, or hanging out with Poison Ivy, or whether she’s a villain or a hero. I think bottomline her stories always have to be fun, if not flat out hilarious (but that would be even better). That’s one of the things I like about the current comic. They understand that, they’re not treating her as another angsty bizarre superhero type character. She’s really weird and funny and kind of chaotic."

That's basically every reason why I like that character so much. In my opinion she's one of the best characters that exists in the DC Comics universe, and I'm excited that she's coming to the big screen. I think Margot Robbie is perfect for the role, and she looks great all decked out in costume. Make sure to read the rest of the interview in which he talks about his Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles.
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X