Dr. Dre Speaks On “Straight Outta Compton” Soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Dre Speaks On “Straight Outta Compton” Soundtrack

Dr. Dre details the moment he knew “Nuthin’ But A G Thang” was “special,” recalls getting emotional while watching Eazy-E character in “Straight Outta Compton.”

Although Dr. Dre didn’t offer an update on his long-awaited Detox album during his interview on Big Boy’s Neighborhood, the rapper/producer did reveal that the soundtrack to the upcoming N.W.A biopic, Straight Outta Compton could include new music.

According to Dre, he is “working on something” for the film, but didn’t want to officially confirm any possible contributions to the soundtrack.

“I’m working on something right now,” Dr. Dre said when asked about a possible Straight Outta Compton soundtrack. “I don’t wanna put it out there just yet and say that ‘I’m definitely gonna put it out.’ But I’m really feeling what I’m working on right now…I think this would be a record that’s inspired by the movie.”

Dr. Dre was also asked about the inception of a handful of his past records including “Nuthin’ But A G Thang” and “The Next Episode.”

In regards to his “Nuthin’ But A G Thang” track with Snoop Dogg, he revealed that the original version of the record consisted of Snoop rapping from jail and was also set to a different beat.

“Snoop was actually in jail,” the producer said. “And I really wanted this demo done, so he called in and I taped the receiver of the phone to the mic. And you can hear jail sounds in the back and everything…So, that was the original version. I just happened to be at my mom’s house going through records and then I found this Leon Haywood ‘I Want’a Do Something Freaky To You’ and thought that would make a better foundation track. So, took that back. Recorded the track. Snoop got out and we just recorded the song at my house.

“I knew after a house party,” he added while speaking on the moment he knew “Nuthin’ But A G Thang would be an iconic record. “I played it at a house party and everybody wanted me to rewind it and keep playing it. That’s when I knew it was special.”

Dr. Dre also touched on his relationship with the late Eazy-E. He says he had the opportunity to see the rapper and fellow N.W.A member shortly before he passed, and recalled getting “a little emotional” while watching Jason Mitchell portray Eazy-E on the set of Straight Outta Compton.

“We wanted to be as authentic as possible,” Dre said. “And there’s an actor, Jason Mitchell, who actually plays Eazy. He did an incredible job. I mean, there was a couple of times where I got a little emotional on set. You know what I mean? When he’s in the hospital and he finds out he has the disease and what have you. His acting was that great. Goosebumps.”

Originally posted by kudaz View Post

Dr. Dre was also asked about the inception of a handful of his past records including “Nuthin’ But A G Thang” and “The Next Episode.”

In regards to his “Nuthin’ But A G Thang” track with Snoop Dogg, he revealed that the original version of the record consisted of Snoop rapping from jail and was also set to a different beat.

“Snoop was actually in jail,” the producer said. “And I really wanted this demo done, so he called in and I taped the receiver of the phone to the mic. And you can hear jail sounds in the back and everything…So, that was the original version. I just happened to be at my mom’s house going through records and then I found this Leon Haywood ‘I Want’a Do Something Freaky To You’ and thought that would make a better foundation track. So, took that back. Recorded the track. Snoop got out and we just recorded the song at my house.

I would love to hear the original version
    sigpic

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X