New Power Rangers Movie Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Power Rangers Movie Coming

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” is the latest throwback kids property to get a new turn on the big screen, as Lionsgate and licensing entity Saban Brands announced Wednesday that they’ll be developing another live-action movie based on the '90’s TV powerhouse.The companies said they will develop the film based on the characters that made the original series popular.“With an extensive and extremely devoted worldwide fan base as well as a deep and detailed mythology, the Power Rangers are primed for the big screen” the companies said in a statement, adding that the movie, which does not yet have an announced director or screenwriter, “will re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.” They did not say whether there were larger plans beyond a one-off feature.

Power Rangers, the hyperactive, high-kicking troupe of crusaders that have been an enduring part of kids' TV for over twenty years, have been earmarked by production company Lionsgate as a potential new film franchise.
    They've partnered with the Rangers' creators Saban to develop a live-action feature film featuring the characters. "The Power Rangers stories and characters have been embraced by generations of audiences for more than 20 years, and today they are more powerful than ever," said Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer, with the characters' creator Haim Saban adding: "Lionsgate is the perfect home for elevating our Power Rangers brand to the next level. They have the vision, marketing prowess and incredible track record in launching breakthrough hits from The Hunger Games to Twilight and Divergent."

Saban's comments allude to Lionsgate's skill in creating not just one-offs but entire fictional universes across a number of films – the Twilight and Hunger Games franchises stretch to five and four movies respectively, while the second film in the Divergent franchise, Insurgent, goes into production this month. If a Power Rangers movie can net a new generation of youthful fans, it could be the start of a similar series.

The Power Rangers series began in 1993, and feature photogenic pan-ethnic teenage warriors who don colored suits to battle intergalactic antagonists; with the caveat that they can't start fights unprovoked, they then roundhouse kick their way through their foes, and utilize bizarre kitschy spacecraft and vehicles. The color-filled “Power Rangers” franchise centers on an ordinary group of high-schoolers given individual superpowers that can become even more potent if they combine, something they need to do to fight giant robots known as Zords and other antagonists. In some ways, the series echoes “X-Men,” “The Fantastic Four” and “The Avengers” in its look at a diverse superhero ensemble. “Power Rangers’ has had various screen incarnations -- not to mention owners -- since being launched more than two decades ago.
    The original series ran on Fox for three years beginning in 1993 and attracted both a large constituency and plenty of criticism, as parents believed the series too violent for children in elementary school. An almost dizzying number of TV spinoffs and sequels followed, including ‘Lost Galaxy” “Mystic Force,” and, most recently, “Megaforce.” Beginning with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, each series features fight scenes and action sequences taken from Japanese series Super Sentai, inter-cut with other original scenes shot in the US and New Zealand to localize the show for English-speaking audiences. As well as 17 TV series, there have been two feature films in 1995 and 1997, plus countless merchandising opportunities in toys and games.There are no details on plot for the new movie, though this being 2014, some kind of gritty origins story is entirely possible.

The franchise has also yielded two films, though none within the last 15 years; the first, in 1995, generated $38 million at the time.
    The property has changed hands a number of times, including when Fox Family's Haim Saban sold the company and the Power Rangers property to Disney a number of years ago.
    Lionsgate Chief Executive John Feltheimer said in the statement that “the Power Rangers stories and characters have been embraced by generations of audiences for more than 20 years, and today they are more powerful than ever.”

Still, it remains to be seen how popular the property is with younger viewers. With “G.I. Joe” spinning off two movies and the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” hitting the big screen for another go-round this summer, “Power Rangers” comes in with a well-trod path of youth-oriented movies whose names are more likely to appeal to their target audience's parents.Plenty of popular throwback fare has struggled making it to the big screen, as He-Man, Voltron and others have languished in development. The Power Rangers movie is in part an attempt by Lionsgate to establish global franchises; the mini-major has had success with “Twilight” and “The Hunger Games” but doesn’t have the kind of branded content in its arsenal that gives studios a reliable stream of potential blockbuster content, as Disney has with its Marvel Studios characters or Paramount has with Transformers.
    Last edited by Dominator; 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM. Reason: Thread restored

shit i remember going to the theaters to see the first one green one with that dragon flute was my fav and the white version he played lol

Comment

This movie should have goldar and rita in it. I would love to see a Evil Green Ranger movie, but that may be sequel worthy since he did not appear in the opening episodes of the first season. He should appear at the end of the movie as Rita's last stand and then the whole second movie should be about the evil green ranger. But they may just throw that in the first one or skip right over it and have him good since they do not know how successful this movie will be. I think this will be a huge franchise like transformers.

This would be my ideal storyline;

Movie 1 - Power Rangers, Zordon, Rita, Goldar & Scorpina. Obviously Goldar and Scorpina become huge and take on the Zords during the movie. Rita cast spell over Tommy, glimpse of Green Ranger at the end
      Movie 2 - Evil Green ranger causing havoc, Dragonzord, flute, staff the whole shabang! Power Rangers get tricked by Tommy. Eventually becomes good.
      Movie 3 - Power Rangers & Green Ranger, Green Ranger loses powers. Becomes White Ranger, takes on Lord Zed.
      Movie 4 - If they ever make it this far I would love for them to go back and make a origin movie about Rita & Zordon. Similar to what Lord of The Rings did with The Hobbit

I think that is the most they can do option wise. I hope Jason David Frank in it. He has always been the face of power rangers. After Season 3-4 is when things for shitty. But he should still be in it, either as a cameo, a different role or as the Green Ranger. Might be odd seeing him with teenagers though, but they could do a whole different storyline. A new evil comes to earth. Old Tommy seeks out the legendary Staff that made him evil. The Staff somehow gives him the power back and he creates a new set of power rangers to fight the evil. Could work, but idk about this because it would leave out zordon, rita, alpha 5 and goldar.

What you guys think? new cast? Jason David Frank involved or as Green Ranger? This is suppose to have a dark and gritty style to it so it could be good!
      If they go with a new cast it should be people to replace the old characters. Like a new Tommy, Jason, Zach etc. Not totally new people with different names. Even have the black ranger be black and the yellow still asian!

Comment

I started watching the series in 1997. The good old days watching it on the Fun Channel if anyone remembers that.

[MENTION=999]Kevin the first 3 opening themes in the video was when I used to watch it. After that I don't recall watching the others.

My favorite power rangers were wearing the blue and green suits. Billy & Tommy. Billy reminded me of my uncle a lot for some reason.

Tommy to me was just badass.

Last edited by Hard2Kill; 05-09-2014, 05:40 AM.

Comment

good that powerrangers was after my time, it was so embaressing to watch, and how they all move, just lol. more than emberassing.
          He was a nice middle class nigga
          But nobody knew the evil he'd do When he got a little bigger
          Shorty Wanna Be A Thug - Tupac

Comment

Originally posted by Hard2Kill View Post
            I started watching the series in 1997. The good old days watching it on the Fun Channel if anyone remembers that.

[MENTION=999]Kevin the first 3 opening themes in the video was when I used to watch it. After that I don't recall watching the others.

My favorite power rangers were wearing the blue and green suits. Billy & Tommy. Billy reminded me of my uncle a lot for some reason.

Tommy to me was just badass.

Funny about Billy, in real life he left the show because he was being harassed by the staff about being a homosexual.

Originally posted by chatzon View Post
            good that powerrangers was after my time, it was so embaressing to watch, and how they all move, just lol. more than emberassing.
            I agree but if you were like 3-8 in 1993 when it launched, you would have came home from school everyday to watch this. If you remember beatleborgs.....then you would laugh because that was even cheesier then power rangers.

Ofcourse power rangers was cheesy, the zords falling over and just twiling around doing some attack with the tale. The godzilla looking zord too! or them just kicking the evil guys in the chest and they disappear. Yeah it was kid friendly, but it could be totally bad ass in a new movie aimed at teens and young adults and people that grew up watching it. Just like Transformers went from a cartoon to a movie. If they give this the batman dark night style, it could be the next avengers type movie.

I want real affects, if they shoot a laser at the bad guy it should kill them! Zords and giant villains should have more destruction over the city. Hell they could even have the evil Green Ranger as some sort of criminal. I doubt they will actually allow the green ranger to kill people but hell if this was all real, there would be no holds barred. You just cant expect them to just want to do karate with each other and then after they lose, challenge them again a week later to another karate showdown. lmao

Comment

[MENTION=999]Kevin maybe u are right, but i always hated the asian stuff, powerrangers at all is a cool idea, and the cheapness is not a point too, in te 80 everything was cheap made lol. just how they moved, when the got beat from a boss and they fall to the floor and stand up with like 4-5 hand and foot moves like lol. its like alot today like pikatchu...i never liked the asian stuff.

turtes ghostbusters mask transformers, ok kickers and mila was nice....but all series werent not emberassing. maybe worse, but not like powerrangers.

but ok maybe, like u said, when i was 8 in 93 i would have liked it.
              He was a nice middle class nigga
              But nobody knew the evil he'd do When he got a little bigger
              Shorty Wanna Be A Thug - Tupac

Comment

good old days, loved the serie (the original crew version) when I was a kid
                My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
                Vinyls: 60
                Cassettes: 110
                CDs: 216

Comment

POWER RANGERS Movie Gets a 2016 Release Date

Lionsgate and Saban have officially announced that the Power Rangers movie they are in the process of developing will be released in theaters on July 22nd, 2016.

The story for the film will come from executive producer Roberto Orci (The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Star Trek Into Darkness) and screenwriters Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller (X-Men: First Class, Thor).

It seems like the movie is in good hands. There's no way it could end up being any worse than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Transformers… right?!

All we really know about the story right now is that it will be a modern reinvention of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and it will follow "a group of ordinary high school kids who find themselves infused with extraterrestrial powers and must harness those powers as a team to save the world."

Comment

Comment

I like this post ^^

Comment

New POWER RANGERS Movie Shooting This Year

While conducting an interview with comicbook.com, Jason David Frank (more affectionately known as the Green Ranger), covered a number of topics. He talked about his web series My Morphing Life, his interactions with his fans via social media, oh, and like it was nothing at all, that the much-discussed Power Rangers movie is going to be filmed this year!

Frank does a lot of self-promotion in this piece, but it does seem like he has his finger on the pulse of the next Power Rangers flick. This is what he had to say when asked about it:

"The movie is definitely set for this year. Everything is in place. They won't give me specific details because it's all like hush-hush. Even me, I try. I email Saban and ask them kind of what you're asking me, but they do feel that I'm going to be part of it, because they feel there's no movie, at least, without me. The funny thing is, one way or another, whether it happens or it doesn't, I've been great to Lionsgate and I've been loyal to Saban. It's not like they owe me, but if I want to ask for a personal favor, I've invested into their emotional bank account. I feel like it's fair to have that withdrawal with them, because I've done nothing but support them for the last 10 years, 20 years in fact.

"So when that happens, I don't need to cash in any favors. I believe it's going to happen anyway, but when it does, I'll keep my fans involved, but I will tell you it is being filmed this year.

"I know that for a fact. It's going to be great when it is."

Comment

the new suits

My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
                          Vinyls: 60
                          Cassettes: 110
                          CDs: 216

Comment

Fucking ridiculous.... This stuff was a joke when it first came out. Now? Ridiculous.

Comment

lol at them tits

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X