Ronaldo named Ballon d'Or winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronaldo named Ballon d'Or winner

Cristiano Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'Or after a stunning year that saw him net an astonishing 69 goals in 59 games, ending Lionel Messi's four-year run as the world's best player.

The Real Madrid talisman's achievements saw him surpass Hugo Sanchez in his club's scoring charts and equal Portugal legend Pauleta at the top of his country's list with 47 in 109 games.

Fourteen of his goals came in the Champions League as Madrid reached the semifinals before being beaten by Borussia Dortmund -- and that total eclipsed the record of 13 achieved in the season before by the shortlisted Messi.

His 2013 goal tally has overshadowed those of his two Ballon d'Or rivals, Messi and Franck Ribery, and he is the top scorer in all of Europe's biggest leagues.

Ronaldo, accompanied by Florentino Perez, Zinedine Zidane, Emilio Butragueno and Sergio Ramos, flew to the Zurich ceremony from Madrid after training on Monday morning. Speaking as he received the award, a tearful Ronaldo said: "Thank you to everyone, my teammates, the national team and my family, to everyone here. Eusebio and Mandela were very important for me, I can't speak."

Voting was done by national team captains and coaches, plus selected journalists, in FIFA's 209 member countries who chose their top 3 preferences.

In a tight race, Ronaldo received 1,365 points, Messi had 1,205 and Ribery got 1,127.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann voted Ribery first, followed by Gareth Bale and Radamel Falcao, while American captain Clint Dempsey had Ronaldo first followed by Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Paul Kennedy of Soccer America voted Ronaldo first, followed by Messi and Ribery.

Pele, after a dramatic pause and smile, read out Ronaldo's name. The Madrid star rolled back his head and closed his eyes, grinning, then kissed his girlfriend, model Irina Shayk, before going up to the stage.

"People who know me know how many people helped me," the emotional winner said in Portuguese. "If I have forgotten anyone, I do apologize because I am deeply moved."

Pele greeted Ronaldo minutes after he also cried on stage when collecting an honorary Ballon d'Or for his own outstanding career. Pele finally received a Ballon d'Or trophy which he could never get during his career when the original prize created by France Football magazine in 1956 was restricted to European players.

The only player to win the World Cup three times -- in 1958, '62 and '70 -- was given a standing ovation at the Zurich Kongresshaus.

"I promised my family I would not cry but I am emotional," Pele said. "Thank God, I complete my trophies at home."

Ronaldo had to wait five years since first winning the award as a Manchester United player, as Messi found a way to overshadow him in each of the past four years -- despite the Portugal winger's prolific scoring for Madrid. However, Ronaldo was heavily favored this time after FIFA extended the balloting deadline beyond the World Cup playoffs in November and allowed voters to change preferences.

The Portugal star's display in Stockholm was so impressive it seemed certain to sway voters at a time when Messi was sidelined by his third injury of the year.

Still, FIFA spokesman Walter De Gregorio said Monday the standings were unchanged by the voting rules adjustment, which raised the turnout from around 50 to 88 percent.

Ronaldo said earlier Monday that he made peace with FIFA president Sepp Blatter, whose stated personal preference last October for Messi sparked speculation that the eventual winner would snub the ceremony.

Meanwhile, the other awards were also presented:

FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year: Nadine Angerer
    FIFA Men’s Football Coach of the Year: Jupp Heynckes
    FIFA Women’s Football Coach of the Year: Silvia Neid
    FIFA Presidential Award: Jacque Rogge
    FIFA Fair Play Award: Afghanistan Football Federation
    FIFA Puskas Award: Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Sweden v England
    Ballon d'Or Prix d'Honneur: Pele

FIFA/FIFPro World XI:

Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer – Bayern Munich
    Defender: Philipp Lahm – Bayern Munich
    Defender: Sergio Ramos – Real Madrid
    Defender: Thiago Silva – PSG
    Defender: Dani Alves – FC Barcelona
    Midfielder: Andres Iniesta – FC Barcelona
    Midfielder: Xavi Hernandez – FC Barcelona
    Midfielder: Franck Ribery – Bayern Munich
    Forward: Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrd
    Forward: Zlatan Ibrahimovic – PSG
    Forward: Lionel Messi – FC Barcelona
    Source

I'm happy for him, he truly deserves it and his girlfriend is freaking hot but yeah lol. I prefer Ronaldo over Messi. the Fifa Wolrd XI pretty much says everything. Football is being run by 4 teams; PSG, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.

Well im cool with this choice and Congratz to him I bet his wifey have a lot of fun this night lol, but i personally would prefer messi over ronaldo!!!

Was a nice Show

Comment

well it isnt that easy. C.Ronaldo shot portugal in it with 4 goals plus vs. his rival Z.Ibrahimovic and i think after they decided to extend the election, he was the player to go gold, without a doubt.
      L.Messi and F.Ribery were both injured during this and/or last saison, too.

i thought he would come out on stage like T.Hitzlsberger, but he didnt. wondering when the Ricky Martin of football will do it, because real football is not about gender.

overall a good show with both hosts. glad that she did not use a tit orientated dress, like she done before at the world cup drawing.
      collection: http://www.2pac-forum.com/showthread...439&highlight=

Comment

Enjoy it while u can Ronaldo my boy Lionel Messi is fully fit and ready to take that crown off you

Comment

fully deserved victory. Can't believe Ramos got into World XI though

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X