sega mega drive collected works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sega mega drive collected works

I know there are mega drive fans on here dont know if any of you saw this kickstarter project but I pledged and it has met it's goal and has been funded it should be dope and I can't wait to receive it!!!!

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works [ セガ メガドライブ/ジェネシス:作品集成 ] will be the definitive volume on the landmark console. The book is officially licensed by SEGA and celebrates the 25th anniversary of the console’s release. It will be an unparalleled treasury of production artwork, interviews, development sketches and hardware manufacturing plans.

It will also include over 20 exclusive interviews with original SEGA team members – many of whom have never been interviewed before – a foreword by industry legend Dave Perry and an insightful 10,000-word piece by Keith Stuart (Games Editor for the Guardian and regular contributor to Edge) on the machine that changed the landscape of gaming forever.

The book will showcase a wealth of SEGA’s 16-bit titles, from blockbuster games such as Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star, Gunstar Heroes, The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe through to cult gems such as Rent-a-Hero, Vectorman and DecapAttack.

We are tremendously excited about making this book a reality. With your support, we hope to publish a beautiful and substantial volume on the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis. If funded, this will be the second title from Read-Only Memory, a new company that aims to publish high-end books on gaming history.

190mm x 240mm • Hardback • Litho Print • Approx. 300 pages • 35,000+ words

*All designs shown here and in our pitch video are not final and are subject to approval by SEGA*

Background to the Project

Read-Only Memory’s first title, Sensible Software 1986–1999 was successfully funded on Kickstarter last year and released in October 2013. Based on the strength of that book, we were invited by SEGA to pitch a title covering an aspect of their history. Being a die-hard Mega Drive/Genesis player from the age of 11, I leapt at the chance to create a book that would encapsulate everything that made that console so unique – the stylish hardware, the absorbing Hollywood-inspired atmosphere of the games, and most memorably, the bold and irreverent way that SEGA chose to market the console here in the West.

We are looking to publish the book as part of the two-year-long anniversary of the console's release (1988 in Japan, 1989 in North America and 1990 in Europe). We started research in early 2013, and are now full steam ahead on the project. The interviews, essay and photography are now largely complete, and we have already collated a huge amount of archive material, ready to be distributed across the book’s 300 or so pages.

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works will be equal parts lush ‘coffee table’ art book and incisive history document, combining the highest values in graphic design, production and journalism. As a die-hard fan myself, I’m dedicated to making this a truly covetable object for every SEGA fan.

The Contents

Archive & Artwork

We are working closely with SEGA Corporation on every aspect of the book. They have provided us unprecedented access to their archives, where we have already uncovered an unbelievable number of hidden treasures – including detailed technical drawings of the Mega Drive/Genesis console, a range of alternative controller designs, a collection of stunning character paintings for The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi and pencil and marker storyboards for Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage.

We have also secured the rights to reproduce images from the hard-to-find, Japan-only SEGA Video Game Illustrations book, published in 1994 and now out of print. More recently we’ve been working with ex-SEGA of America team members who have provided beautiful production art from games such as Eternal Champions, Vectorman and Comix Zone. Finally, we have also unearthed material from the personal archives of a number of original Japanese developers. My aim is to gather the very best material into one hefty but affordable volume.

From hand-drawn sketches right through to meticulously-presented in-game artwork, the book will catalogue the incredible visual history of SEGA’s best-loved franchises, including:

After Burner, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Alien Storm, Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage, Beast King’s Chronicle/Altered Beast, Bonanza Bros., Comix Zone, Cyber Brawl/Cosmic Carnage, DecapAttack, Dynamite Headdy, Ecco the Dolphin, ESWAT, Eternal Champions, Flicky, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Super Hang-On, Kid Chameleon, Knuckles Chaotix, Landstalker, Metal Head, Phantasy Star, Puyo Puyo/Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, Rent-A-Hero, Ristar the Shooting Star/Ristar, Shadow Dancer, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D, Space Harrier, The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi, Tempo, ToeJam & Earl, Vectorman, Virtua Racing, Wonder Boy and more ...

Interviews

We have had the privilege to conduct in-depth interviews with more than 20 legendary SEGA designers, programmers, composers and creatives, many of whom are being interviewed for the very first time. The interviews – conducted by award-winning games writer Keith Stuart – provide a fascinating glimpse into the influences, processes and ideas behind many the console’s most important games.

Our interviewees include:

Naoto Oshima, Game Designer: Sonic the Hedgehog
    Yu Suzuki, Game Designer: Space Harrier, OutRun, After Burner, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter
    Makoto Uchida, Planner: Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Alien Storm
    Yuji Naka, Game Designer: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic & Knuckles
    Masami Ishikawa, Product Designer: Mega Drive/Genesis hardware
    Mitsushige Shiraiwa, Product Designer: Mega Drive/Genesis outer casing
    Tomohiro Kondo, Planner: Shadow Dancer
    Yuzo Koshiro, Sound Designer: The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi, Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage
    Akira Nishino, Planning Director: Ristar the Shooting Star/Ristar
    Kan Naito, Programmer: Shining Force
    Kazuyuki Hoshino, Art Director: Knuckles Chaotix
    Keisuke Tsukahara, Sound Designer: Shadow Dancer, Alien Storm (arcade)
    Kotaro Hayashida, Game Designer: Alex Kidd, Space Harrier II
    Manabu Kusunoki, Graphic Designer: Bonanza Bros.
    Naohiro Warama (credited as Taro Shizuoka), Designer: Revenge of Shinobi/The Super Shinobi
    Noriyoshi Ohba, Director: The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi, Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage
    Ryuichi Nishizawa, Director: Wonder Boy
    Koji Tsuchida, Director: Shadow Squadron/Stellar Assault
    Tomoyuki Ito, Director: The Super Shinobi II/Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    Toru Yoshida, Designer: Phantasy Star II, IV
    Tombo Arikawa, Designer: Rent A Hero
    Ryutaro Nonaka, Planner: Metal Head
    Naofumi Hataya, Sound Designer: Golden Axe II, Virtua Racing Deluxe
    Letz be friendz

sega mega drive..what a legendary console man.. i still use the emulator on my PC lol. Streets of Rage 2 was by far the best game on that platform.. Anyone for some network play ?

Comment

Lol I downloaded some emulators for snes md and nes on my samsung s4 I love it
      Letz be friendz

Comment

my first console ....good old days
        My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
        Vinyls: 60
        Cassettes: 110
        CDs: 216

Comment

Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X