This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submit Questions - What would you like to know

Submit questions about everything you would like to know about production, mixing, studio, and software/hardware.
    I will answer them as soon as i get free time.
    sigpic

If masters are stored properly, how long they can last? 20 years, 50 years, 100 years... And are DATs used nowdays.
    2PAC-FORUM.COM REFERENCE SECTION

Comment

my question is:

when the credits say "produced by: x"

what did "x" do? what´s the task of a producer?just making a beat?

someone explain that "produced by"-shit.

Comment

Originally posted by djukak View Post
        If masters are stored properly, how long they can last? 20 years, 50 years, 100 years... And are DATs used nowdays.
        If masters are stored and kept in purposely build room/facility then can last forever. Tapes do tend to lose some of high-frequency response and become gluey if they are not played in over 10 years. No worries since all (or most of) 2pac recordings have been digitalized, but tape is still more secure storage medium then hard drives because hard drives can lose all storage due Operating system failure or by dead hardware in hard drive.

DATs in music industry have been replaced by computers since late 90s.

Originally posted by MOB Souljah
        my question is:

when the credits say "produced by: x"

what did "x" do? what´s the task of a producer?just making a beat?

someone explain that "produced by"-shit.
        Producer can be a person who programs drum machine/sampler and play instruements, but it can also be a person who gives a idea about song (from mixing to sampling,) and person who controls the studio / band. Something like conductor of orchestra.
        Last edited by Nikola; 10-21-2010, 07:13 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Producer can be a person who programs drum machine/sampler and play instruements, but it can also be a person who gives a idea about song (from mixing to sampling,) and person who controls the studio / band. Something like conductor of orchestra.
          that´s what i keep hearin ... can some1 explain the process better or up a video or something?ok let´s say producer is "conductor of orchestra" like u said wtf do mixing engineers and all that do?

Comment

Mixing engineer (like myself) is who breathes a new life into song, adding effects, dynamic compression, setting volume level of layers/channels, eq-uing, and then working on mixdown (adding breaks) meaning that whole project gets mixed from all layers to stereo 2 channel song and then song is ready to get mastered.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFGo2OdaPPc]YouTube - honey B dub by Nic Johnson[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5GZKacEO0&feature=related[/ame]
            sigpic

Comment

if i was to buy a drum machine, where would i get kick, snare and hi-hat samples from?

this is my biggest gripe about trying to produce, it all starts with great drums for me (which i do not have).

what drum machine would you suggest? lack of knowledge on these subjects has always prevented me from being serious about production. i mean i don't want to waste money on equipment if i have no clue of what i'm doing.

what keyboards would you recommend? i have a yamaha keyboard but it does not sound realistic enough for results i want.

thanks.

Comment

You have to answer one question for yourself: Do you really need hardware sampler/drum machine.
                I dont think so. at last not when you are total beginner without decent budget for quality audio card/interface, sampler, etc.

Start with software sequencer / sampler (Cubase,FL Studio... loaded with third party virtual instruments such as Guru sampler, Waves pluggins, URS bundle, Altiverb 6, Lexicon Native bundle.

You get drum samples from other songs, old songs, anything you can find.
                Decent start would be to get this Ultimate Breaks and Beats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flac: HQ Hip-Hop: VA - Ultimate Breaks & Beats The Complete Collection (1986 - 1989) - 2006 - FLAC

You insert desired loop into sampler, and chop elements of a loop into peaces
                kick sample, hi-hat sample, snare sample, clap sample.
                Then you use EQ and compression to control dynamics, EQ to add bass or high frequency...depends, what You want to achieve.

Save up some money for audio interface, studio monitors/speakers, and MIDI keyboard.

Decent equipment for little money:

1. Audio interface (external audio card, connects to PC or MAC via USB/firewire connection) Mbox 3 http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...LAID=603222855
                2. Studio Monitors (Speakers) Yamaha HS80m http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
                3. MIDI Keyboard: M-Audio Oxygen 49 M-Audio Oxygen 49

Before you buy any of these, get some knowledge

1. Audio Interface: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_c..._interfaces.29
                2. Studio Monitors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_monitor
                3. Midi keyboard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_keyboard

---------------
                For Studio monitors, listening room most be treated with proper acoustic absorbers. You don't want your room to produce ECHO/Reverbation while you are mixing, because room bounces back sound from speakers back to your ears and creates unrealistic/blurry image of whats going on in the MIX.
                You can make your own absorbers, if you have time, and little skills with tools.

Last edited by Nikola; 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

who do producer get that "g-funk whistle"?

Comment

With analog modeling synthesizers such as Minimog model d, Roland juno 60, Studio Electronics SE-1, etc.
                    sigpic

Comment

how can one create acapella from instrumental and track ?

Comment

There are programs that inverts stereo image phase, and reduces bass and low-mid frequencies, helping vocals (mid-hi and hi frequency) stand out more.
                        all vocal recordings are recorded mono, and mixed like that, so its not impossible mission to make decent CPU acapella.
                        final results depends on a song structure, the way its produced and mixed. for example, making an acapella from songs with wide range of instruments and loud drums could never fully isolate vocal from the mix.
                        Last edited by Nikola; 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I gotta say, thanks for all the info nikola! My whole thing i wanna learn how to produce, but I dont know how to begin? Is there a specific formula or anything. For example in graphic design u have photoshop, illustrator,etc..u have several layers and a master layer. Is understaning how to make music just a matter of learning how to use the specific program,eg. fl studio?

Comment

^Yes, exactly, you answered your own question
                            master one production program like FL studio, Reason 5, Logic, or Cubase,
                            and as you get more experienced, invest in real hardware.
                            sigpic

Comment

What's the best mastering software out today?

MIXTAPE DISCOGRAPHY:
                              http://www.2pac-forum.com/showthread...92711&p=676617

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X