Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jay-Z tells L.A Times that DMX forced him to step up his stage performance in '99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay-Z tells L.A Times that DMX forced him to step up his stage performance in '99

Jay-Z was the first rap artist to headline Britain’s Glastonbury Festival in 2008 and he will make history once again next Friday when he becomes the first solo hip-hop act to top the bill at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival. But Jay wasn’t always able to command a stage. He opens up about the rapper who indirectly encouraged him to become a better performer and the artists who’ve influenced his on-stage evolution.

“In hip-hop, there’s not many great performers,” Jay-Z told the Los Angeles Times. “I look outside the genre, measuring myself against others. I look at Madonna’s production and envy that. Daft Punk’s set, I’m like, what the… And I look at the way U2 can command an audience. Bono’s a performer pretty much like I am. He’s not a dancer; he’s not jumping around. He’s having a conversation. He’s using his stillness as movement.”

The hip-hop heavyweight was modest when talking about his early stage presence. “All my early years? Forget it. I was a horrible performer,” he admitted, realizing that he needed to up his game when touring with DMX in 1999. “DMX tore me to pieces. I remember being stunned.”

It was then Jay knew that he had to raise the bar. “[DMX] had me really working. But I had to figure this out,” he explained. “If you want to be a headliner, you better put on a headline show.”

Now well adjusted to playing sold-out arenas, Mr. Carter is looking forward to his next headlining gig at Coachella in Indio, Calif. “There’s nothing like seeing 100,000 diamonds

dmx should have let his ass in the gutter. fuck, fuck, FUCK jay-z !

Comment

He should work inspiration to up his lyrical game. His lyrics are very weak. I don't understand why he's always #1 on greatest lists. I noticed he copies Biggie's style a little bit, but doesn't do the cool word play. He should copy him %100. Maybe I'd wanna listen to him then. lol

Comment

Who has read this thread:
      Working...
      X